Saturday, September 4, 2010

In the beginning...






So, in classic perfectionist style...I have not been keeping up on my blog because I haven't been able to think of anything humorous to say. Actually, I haven't been able to form a coherent thought in over 2 weeks. The only thought hanging around in my sleep deprived brain has been, "Just get the home school work done for the day...just get the home school work done for the day." Frankly, it's amazing that my family hasn't starved to death in these, my first weeks as a homeschooling mom. By the time the school work is done each day, my brain feels like it has melted and I can't even begin to consider cooking a respectable "stay at home mom" dinner. Bring on the hamburger helper...say goodbye to home made ANYTHING.


I don't say all this to insinuate that things are going poorly. On the contrary, I think that these last two days went rather well. I am simply at a place right now where all of my energy and brain power are being aimed at the conundrum of how to spend a whole day with my children.. teaching them, playing with them, reading to them, feeding them, disciplining them, having them literally hanging off me from the moment I wake up till the moment I go to bed...and not loose my mind. How does one woman simultaneously teach a third grader who, having had the "Benefits" of the public schools spoon feeding education system, does not yet comprehend how to learn independently, and two preschoolers who, if not closely monitored would just as soon color all over the walls and themselves as their workbooks. I am not exaggerating! Have you ever seen a three year old with purple teeth and green circles on his forehead...I HAVE! One simply can NOT read about Jack Sprat, who could eat no fat and his wife who ate no lean, while discussing whether a cell is eukaryotic or prokaryotic. In the sleep deprived brain of a mother, these two conversations can soon become mixed up and you find yourself telling your 3 year old that Jack Sprat had no Nucleus.


Despite my first day which, for the record, was a total crash and burn. We have persevered, and are now settling in to some form of routine. My third grader, Zachary, is beginning to show signs of comprehending what he is reading, enough to actually answer some basic questions about it without having to reread it three or for times. And the three little ones are getting better acquainted with the educational video selection at our local library. We have yet to figure out how to incorporate the youngsters (coloring quietly)into the room where mommy is trying to teach Zachary about...ANYTHING he has to focus on. Apparently the sound of color crayons on paper is tantamount to an emergency shut off switch in my son's brain. He soon begins to worry about whether his little brother is coloring the trees the right color or not, despite the fact that this is the same brother with the purple teeth, who spends his time trying to color as much of his desk as he can while he scribbles on his color book. So , for the time being, the young ones are relegated to the living room while Zach works in the school room, and mom runs back and forth trying to keep things from being broken in one room and motivation from being broken in the other.

So, WHY do I persevere in homeschooling? Because, this past week, I listened as my kids prayed earnestly for the Native American tribe of the Taino people. I heard little Jessica ask God to show the Taino people Jesus' love. I watched as Graham, My five year old, drew his first stick person WITH a stomach, hair and fingers. I got to spend time with Zachary, reading the story of the first Spaniards to bring the story of Jesus to the native Americans of Texas and New Mexico. I enjoyed laughing with the kids as we played red light green light and Simon says during recess.I enjoyed listening to Zachary explain to Graham that an egg is really just one big cell, and the yoke is it's nucleus. I am watching my children grow and learn, and for that I feel BLESSED! Yes, homeschooling is hard, and yes, there are time I think that I may not survive this experience, but each sunrise brings a new day, "FRESH, WITH NO MISTAKES IN IT"...and I can't help but be excited to see what doors our books will open today. Zachary will in time learn how to read a book and glean the information he needs from it. Nathan will eventually stop trying to color on his face every time I turn around. Each day that passes we get better at this. I have a good feeling about next week. Perhaps we will finally be able to all work in the same room!

No comments:

Post a Comment