Thursday, September 30, 2010

Got Balance?















Trying to find Balance in homeschooling is my challenge for the year. I have discovered that the days that I insist that every box be checked off and every question answered are not the best days we have as teacher and students. When my focus is on marking off all the things on my "to do" list, I am not taking advantage of the opportunities that the Lord opens to teach my kids something special. Instead, I am simply focused on getting through that next assignment. this is NOT a good way to face the day. LEAH, stop and smell the roses, would ya! I mean seriously...who really cares if Graham can make the bottom line of the letter "L" straight, when we could be outside, enjoying these last few weeks of warm weather, going on a nature hike. The schedule is my friend, but also my worst enemy. It screams at me from the shelf..."There is a box in me not checked off. Your children are not learning all that they would in a "Real" school. You fail as the teacher!" In response to this I am learning to smile at the shelf, grab the screaming schedule page and white out the unmarked assignment. "Bahahahahah (evil laugh), I Control the schedule!!!"





The problem with this approach to my homeschooling, is that inevitably, my perfectionism kicks in, and I begin to focus that eye for "perfect" on taking in all the opportunities to learn and enjoy the things outside our house. Soon, the days of reading and doing bookwork turn into days of going outside and I begin to see minor lessons like, math and spelling, going unmarked in my schedule. NOT GOOD! So the pendulum swings again, and then I end up in the house trying to catch up with hour after hour of book work, as my children sit longingly looking out the window at the sunshine. Let's face it... the only solution is BALANCE. In my life, balance is simply, imperfection. It is, not leaning to far in either direction. After all, winter is coming, and with it, days when my kids have to stay inside. We'll catch up then. For now...I am striving for balance.

1 comment:

  1. Balance my friend is worth striving for!!! Get outside. Spend time with daddy and maybe bring along a book or two. Mine love for me to spread out a blanket on the ground and read book after book to them. In light of that right now we are learning about leaves and fall. So we take our science journals out with us and draw trees, and record observations. Science, reading/writing, and if you do some counting and comparing size a little bit of math too :)

    ReplyDelete