Wednesday, August 11, 2010

Perfection in a box...or three.


Wow, Nothing makes my perfectionist's heart happier than the smell of brand new, never been opened books. I will readily admit that I have been on a joyful plateau of perfect daydreams about perfect days of educational bliss since our curriculum arrived this afternoon. While I know that there will be days when my precious students don't want to sit still long enough to read the directions much less actually DO the project, and I'll want to run away from home, it is hard to see anything but the overwhelming potential in these boxes, and honestly, I am OK with that for today. I will have to come back to earth and actually start preparing for school tomorrow. Today I will allow myself to dwell on the beautiful "Perfect" moments that will surely happen this year. I am sure there will be days when one of the kids will finally grasp a concept that we have been laboring over. There will be moments when all 4 kids will be quietly absorbed in a good book being read by grandma during reading time. There will be the looks on their faces the first time one of our little turnip plants breaks through the soil and they discover the joy of nurturing a living thing. There will be the sight of my 8 year old son reading God's word for himself, and the sounds of the voices of my beloved children as they sing their memory verses together. Yes, today I am going to allow myself to dream of the joy these books will bring. There will be plenty of time to prepare for the days when math work turns into world war three, someone decides to give their sister a haircut with the scissors in the homeschooling box, and crayon murals are added to my living room walls while I am quizzing someone with flashcards in the other room. In the words of Scarlett O'Hara, " I'm not gonna think about that today. I'll think about that tomorrow."

No comments:

Post a Comment